The Jacobites is a Channel 4 Schools series from the 1990s, covering History for Primary, Secondary pupils.
A look at different aspects of the 1745 Jacobite uprising, originally made to coincide with the 250th anniversary of those events.
Actor Gerard Kelly drives rather manically around Scotland to investigate this part of British history. At the site of the Battle of Culloden he finds an old coin with time travel abilities, which conjures up characters from 250 years ago to explain things to him, and occasionally allows him to travel back in time too.
In the first four episodes Gerard meets a different character each week to give him a different perspective on the events, and in the last he considers what he has found out and tries to reconcile the different points of view.
For some cross-curricular links the historical characters, played convincingly by actors, explore modern times.
- Jean, a young girl from a Jacobite clan, goes to a 1990s fish market to see how butchery techniques had changed.
- Alexander, a Jacobite soldier, meets a Canadian tourist shopping for high-end tartans.
- Michael, a soldier in the English army, visits the modern army.
- Charlotte, a minister's wife and English Loyalist, meets a woman priest in modern times.
The series is presented in a knowing and energetic way, quite aware of its place as a schools TV programme which teachers will make students watch: the second episode is introduced "here we are, video time! Now you all have to sit and watch a programme, you don't have to pay attention and the teacher goes out for a wee cup of tea."
|1.||Jean's Story||1 Mar 1995|
|2.||Alexander's Story||8 Mar 1995|
|3.||Michael's Story||15 Mar 1995|
|4.||Charlotte's Story||22 Mar 1995|
|5.||Gerard's Journey||29 Mar 1995|
|1994-95||Spring & Summer 1995||Wed||10:18||Channel 4||1 Mar to 29 Mar
10 May to 14 Jun
|1995-96||Summer 1996||Thu||11:00||Channel 4||16 May to 20 Jun||
|1996-97||Summer 1997||Tue||10:10||Channel 4||13 May to 17 Jun||
|1997-98||Autumn 1997||Wed||10:30||Channel 4||24 Sep to 22 Oct|
|Presented by||Gerard Kelly|
|With||Rebecca Chisholm as Jean|
Gabriel McTurk as Alexander
|With thanks to||St John Maxwell Primary School, Glasgow|
|Education Officer||Molly Balfour|
|A Move on Up, Wark Clements & Company co-production for Channel 4|
There was a teacher's guide, a poster and a video of the series available to schools.
Sources & References
- Channel 4 Learning (1998) Teaching History and Geography for Primary and Middle Schools 1998/99. Warwick: Channel 4 Schools. p.6
- Channel 4 Press Packs 1995-1997. available online from the British Universities Film & Video Council (membership required)
- Lang, Seán (1995) 'Biting Back at the Jacobites' in Times Educational Supplement 17 March 1995. p.22
- Pennie, Gavin (1995) 'History Teacher Jamie Is in Great Demand!' in The Paisley Daily Express 27 February 1995. p.5
- Times Educational Supplement TV listings, 1995-1997.
And recordings of 2 episodes.
School topics covered in this programme. Click to find other programmes covering the same topics, but bear in mind topics are a new addition to the site in 2023 and not many are set up yet.
Some features of this programme. Click to find other programmes with the same features, but bear in mind tags are also a new addition to the site in 2023 and not many are set up yet.
Want more on this programme?
This site attempts to cover thousands of programmes and it will take ages to update them all. If you would like to see this one updated soon please click on the star to 'vote' for it and I will do my best to prioritise it!
Voting is anonymous and you can vote for as many programmes as you like. The number in the box above shows how many people have already voted for this programme. You can also see a list of all the votes so far.
Some random programmes for age 11-13 from the 1990s
|History: Key Stage 3|
|BBC Schools Radio|
|The Geography Programme|
|BBC Schools TV|
|Channel 4 Schools|
|BBC Schools TV|