The German Programme: Wie Sagt Man...?
Wie Sagt Man...? is a unit of the ITV Schools series The German Programme from the 1980s, covering German language for Secondary pupils.
Five clearly structured programmes supporting pupils preparing for their German language exams, and especially the oral part of the exams.
The German presenter Irmgard Meyer talks to viewers in English and speaks German to others in the programmes. Each episode has four distinct sections which are announced as they begin:
- First a conversation between German people in a situation such as shopping or buying tickets in a travel agency.
- Second an analysis in English of some of the language used in the conversation, showing sentence construction on screen.
- Third a mock oral exam in which Irmgard asks questions of an English student, they attempt to answer, and their answers are analysed afterwards
- Finally the same questions from the oral exam are asked in vox pops of real German people.
The programmes were modelled closely on Thames Television's successful series Comment Dit-On...? for French students of a few years earlier, and the Germany-set sections were recorded in Hamelin in the early summer of 1980.
|1.||In der Stadt||3 Nov 1980|
|2.||Bei Bekannten||10 Nov 1980|
|3.||Einkaufen||17 Nov 1980|
|4.||Im Café||24 Nov 1980|
|5.||Auf dem Bahnhof||1 Dec 1980|
|1980-81||Autumn 1980||Monday, 10:40am||Friday, 10:15am||ITV|
|Summer 1981||Friday, 9:30am||ITV|
|1981-82||Spring 1982||Tuesday, 11:39am||Wednesday, 10:16am||ITV|
|1982-83||Spring 1983||Tuesday, 11:39am||Friday, 10:35am||ITV|
|Series development||Gisela Cumming|
|Education Officer||Mary Law|
|Director & Producer||Tony Davenall|
A teacher's booklet initially cost 83p in 1980.
A revised version was issued the following year, after the programmes had been made, containing transcripts of the German sections of each programme, for £1, and by 1983 the price rose to £1.25.
Thames Television International released the unit on VHS video around 1986, priced £25 plus VAT.
Sources & references
- Davenall, A.M. (1980) 'Making Programmes' in British Journal of Language Teaching volume 9, number 2 & 3, autumn 1980. pp.115-119
- ITV Schools Annual Programme Guides 1980-83.
- Thames TV (1986) advertisement in Times Educational Supplement issue 3670, 31 October 1986. p.34
- TV Times listings, 1980-83. London: BBC.
- Davenall (1980) says "I write on the eve of our departure for Germany to film our first German language programme - Wie sagt man...? - which is to be modelled on Comment dit-on ...?
- Video release details according to Thames TV (1986)
School topics covered in this programme. Click to find other programmes covering the same topics, but bear in mind topics are a new addition to the site in 2023 and not many are set up yet.
Some features of this programme. Click to find other programmes with the same features, but bear in mind tags are also a new addition to the site in 2023 and not many are set up yet.
Want more on this programme?
This site attempts to cover thousands of programmes and it will take ages to update them all. If you would like to see this one updated soon please click on the star to 'vote' for it and I will do my best to prioritise it!
Voting is anonymous and you can vote for as many programmes as you like. The number in the box above shows how many people have already voted for this programme. You can also see a list of all the votes so far.
Some random programmes for age 11-13 from the 1980s
|BBC Schools TV|
|BBC Schools Radio|
|BBC Schools Radio|