The Friday Serial
The Friday Serial is a BBC schools radio series from the 1980s and 1990s, covering English for primary and secondary school pupils.
- readings of children's stories hoping to encourage interest in reading
- beginning with infants' stories in the autumn term and progressing to teenagers in the summer
- despite the title not all stories were serialised, the infants' programmes often had two short stories in each episode, and the summer term programmes for teenagers had one complete short story in each episode
- stories told were the Little Tim stories by E Ardizzone, Treehorn stories by Florence Parry Heide, Harry's Mad by Dick KIng-Smith, Eric the Viking by Terry Jones, Boy by Roald Dahl, Under Goliath by Peter Carter, Gowie Corbie Plays Chicken by Gene Kemp, First Term at Trebizon by Anne Digby, A Rag and Bone and a Hank of Hair by Nicholas Fisk, I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan, and My Love, My Love by Rosa Guy
- replaced by The Friday Story
- Eric the Viking and Boy were repeated for block recording in June 1990, under the title The Friday Story
Want more on this programme?
This site attempts to cover thousands of programmes and it will take ages to update them all. If you would like to see this one updated soon please click on the star to 'vote' for it and I will do my best to prioritise it!
Voting is anonymous and you can vote for as many programmes as you like. The number in the box above shows how many people have already voted for this programme. You can also see a list of all the votes so far.
Some random programmes for age 5-7 from the 1980s
|BBC Schools Radio
|Swings and Roundabouts
|BBC Schools TV